HRSB action on the sub shortage.
Please be advised that the board is taking a number of steps to deal with the ongoing sub shortage. They are:
- All non-mandatory professional development offered by the HRSB will be postponed. We will continue limited PD which is mandatory such as WHMIS, First Aid, etc.;
- Grade level restrictions on AESOP will be lifted. Principals can hire substitutes to teach at any grade level;
- The use of substitutes to provide PLC time will be discontinued;
- Unpaid leave will only be approved for exceptional circumstances and if operationally feasible. This will continue to be at the Principal’s discretion;
- Unpaid leaves tied to Article 60 conference grants will not be approved. Teachers are eligible for up to three (3) days per conference and must have pre-approval from the Principal, in accordance with the Article 60 Guidelines;
- Continue to not fill vacant positions at Central Office requiring an NSTU licence unless operationally required
As far as increasing the supply of subs, HRSB has stated they will be (or already have):
- Considering placement of “permanent subs” in schools with the greatest need;
- Coordinating interviews with upcoming B.Ed. graduates and continued outreach to Nova Scotia universities with B.Ed. programs;
- Securing a tri-partite agreement with the NSTU and EECD to broaden the substitute pool beyond certified teachers (i.e. non-licensed second year B.Ed. students, and possibly others) in limited circumstances when qualified teachers are unavailable;
- Reviewing of substitute application process to expedite applicants;
- Sending direct email to B.Ed. students in other provinces including New Brunswick to highlight the availability of full-time hours as a substitute teacher with HRSB;
- Promoting contract potential with HRSB for teachers considering relocation;
- Ongoing analysis of AESOP data to maximize the potential of all substitute assignments regardless of level/specialty; (Please continue to use AESOP to obtain/record sub usage at your school to ensure data is accurate.)
- Attendance at the Toronto Education Job Fair in November to promote HRSB positions;
- Participating in upcoming Job Fairs, including Moncton, Fredericton and Newfoundland; and
- Twitter campaign and social media outreach.
If you have any questions about any of these directives, please feel free to send them to me.
Eastern Passage School Realignment
Please note that there will be a meeting to discuss the staffing process during the realignment process connected to the Eastern Passage school on Tuesday, January 23rd at 3:15 pm at the Eastern Passage Education Center. All permanent/probationary teachers currently assigned to Cole Harbour District High, Eastern Passage Education Centre, Ocean View Elementary, Seaside Elementary and Tallahassee Elementary are welcome to attend.
Local President’s Visit
Please contact me at email@example.com if you want me to pop by your school. You can also track me down at the office most days between 8:00am and 3:30pm, (902) 468-6788, or at anytime via my cell at (902) 499-0933. I would love to come out for a chat!